IMPORTANT: Do not submit your personal information to the Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources if you do not want your information to be dealt with in the ways described in this statement.
As an Australian Government agency, the Department is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles ("APPs") in the Privacy Act 1988, which regulate how agencies may collect, use, disclose and store personal information and how individuals may access and correct personal information held about them.
Collection and use of your personal information
We will use your information for the purpose of selecting a person to fill the advertised position. In some cases an order of merit may be developed to fill subsequent positions similar to the advertised position.
The information we collect may include:
- Your name; Your contact details;
- Any information you provide about your previous employment and education;
- Your disability status;
- Whether or not you identify as being from an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background;
- Names and contact details of your referees; and
- Any other information you choose to provide as part of your application.
In addition to the information you provide when you complete your online application, the Department may also collect information from:
- you directly at other stages of the selection process;
- any competency or medical test you sit during the selection process; and
- your referees.
Disclosure of your personal information
The Department may disclose your information to:
- staff within the Department responsible for assessing your application and approving selection decisions;
- staff of Human Resources - the area of the Department with responsibility for recruitment and payroll processes;
- staff of an external provider if they have been engaged to manage the process;
- our responsible Minister, and the Minister’s advisors; and
- any other person with a lawful entitlement to view your application.
If your application is successful your personal information collected from you or your referees will be placed on your personal file and may be used by the Department in relation to your employment.
You should be aware that the names of successful applicants will be notified in all formats of the APS Employment Gazette, and some of your information, on which we based our recruitment decision, may be disclosed to unsuccessful applicants.
Security of information